Overview of the most important services from SWITCH
SWITCH develops services for the Swiss universities, especially in the field of information and communication technologies. Here is a short description of each of its most important activities:
• SWITCHlan is the technological backbone of our services. This high-performance network connects all Swiss universities with the internet, with one another and with education and research networks all around the world.
• SWITCHaai has become an international benchmark. People belonging to universities can use it to access e-learning systems and web applications with just a single login. Today, all Swiss universities are using SWITCHaai.
• SWITCHconnect makes those belonging to the Swiss universities mobile. With it, they can surf the internet and have dependable access to all the didactic materials they need, free-of-charge, at every Swiss university and at more than 2500 public hot spots throughout the country.
• SWITCHpoint is a powerful tool for video and web conferences. It facilitates virtual meetings as far as the other end of the world, and it is possible to work together in real time on one and the same document.
• SWITCHcast is a highly sophisticated video management system, which has the power to catapult every single lecture into the virtual age. Lecturers can use it to record their lectures, to place them in the internet under the protection of AAI and to offer them to students wherever they happen to be, either as podcast downloads or as video streams.
• SWITCH-CERT protects the education and research network against cyber criminals and system failures. Our computer emergency response team has the job of developing innovative security mechanisms and also assists the Swiss universities in applying the correct protective measures.
• With AAA/SWITCH and Grid, SWITCH is actively involved in numerous e-science projects organised by the European Union, which hold a great deal of promise for the future. We also have the job of representing the Swiss universities in important international bodies.
• SWITCHtoolbox provides members of universities with the most important online tools for virtual project work in a secure environment.
General Terms and Conditions for services of SWITCH.
Click here to read SWITCH's Terms and conditions for the provision of services. This document contains all the necessary information on the rules governing the relationship between SWITCH and the universities using its services.