Join as SWITCHaai Federation Partner
What is a Federation Partner?
Your organization can become a SWITCHaai Federation Partner, if your organization does not belong to the SWITCH Community but you want to contribute to the SWITCHaai Federation. As Federation Partner, you can integrate your web applications into SWITCHaai and they may use the central AAI services required for a smooth operation within SWITCHaai.
Typically, a Federation Partner operates AAI-enabled web resources (Service Providers, SP) and makes them available for the users with an AAI-enabled account at one of the participating Home Organizations that operate an Identity Provider (IdP).
AAI-enabled web resource can be e-learning platforms, web shops, e-journal databases, etc. which make use of federated authentication and do authorize access to their applications based on the information they got via AAI from the Identity Provider of the users home organization.
The following entities and organizations may qualify to become Federation Partners:
- Higher education and research organizations (both domestic and international) wishing to offer AAI-enabled resources to one or more Federation Members; and
- Entities and organizations wishing to offer AAI-enabled, education and research-related services to the users, i.e. the registered members of one or more Home Organizations.
Already Participating SWITCHaai Federation Partners
Becoming a SWITCHaai Federation Partner
- the SWITCHaai Federation Partner Application Form
- the SWITCHaai Federation Partner Agreement, which consists of:
- the Cover Sheet (two copies to be signed),
- the SWITCHaai Service Description, and
- the General Terms and Conditions for Services of SWITCH (GTC)
In addition, the prospect SWITCHaai Federation Partner needs to be officially
supported by a SWITCHaai Participant from the SWITCH Community (a.k.a. "Sponsor"), which will also
sign the Application Form.
In case the prospect Federation Partner has well established, contracts-based, relationships with SWITCHaai Participants, such an explicit sponsorship can be waived.
The SWITCHaai Service Description is the core document where all rights and obligations are listed, e.g. the 'SWITCHaai Federation Policy' in chapter 3. Chapter 7.2 refers to fees. At the moment, there are no fees for becoming or being SWITCHaai Federation Partner.
Interfederation for SWITCHaai Federation Partners is available as paid option to cover the additional support effort required. Details are available on request.
The procedure to join
SWITCH will prepare the forms to be signed, provided you send us the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Organization name:
- Organization postal address:
- Administrative contact person for the agreement:
- Full name:
- Technical contact person:
- Full name:
SWITCH will then send you the documents to sign including the 'SWITCHaai Service Description' and the 'General Terms and Conditions for Services of SWITCH (GTC)'.
In order to technically join the federation, it is of course necessary to install and configure a Service Provider (SP). SWITCH strongly recommends to use the open source Shibboleth implementation. For that purpose we provide installation instructions and How-To manuals for major platforms.
SWITCH will get in contact with the Federation Partner to sort out the technical details. Tests will be scheduled before the resource of a Federation Partner will be added to the production federation.