SWITCHaai Shibboleth Training 2015
This page provides all the material that was used during the Shibboleth Training event held in September 2015 in Zurich. The material on this page allows repeating the training. During the training participants test and configure a standard Shibboleth Service Provider as well as an Identity Provider in the AAI Test federation, which uses the same technical standards like the SWITCHaai federation. The goal is to make participants familiar with federated identity management, SAML and Shibboleth in particular. At the end of the training, all participants should be familiar with the basic aspects of running a Shibboleth Service Provider and a Shibboleth Identity Provider in SWITCHaai.
Training VM image is no longer available
The VM image is no longer available, it was outdated.
The LDAP server required by the IdP pre-configured in the image is no longer accessible.
Training VM Image
The training is performed on a virtual machine (VM), basically a VM image that can be run in Virtual Box (recommended) or VMware Player/Fusion. The image thus can be run on Windows, Mac and Linux systems.
To run the SP Training VM the following minimal requirements have to be met:
- User must have administration privileges on the laptop
- Any recent (< 4 years) Intel or AMD processor.
- 4 GByte RAM (at least 1.5GB free memory)
- 12 GByte free harddisk space
- Internet Connectivity
- VirtualBox (or VMWare Player) installed and fully operational.
Shibboleth Training at Home
The training was designed in a way that allows to repeat it at home in an autonomous way. All that is needed is the material on this page, basically the SP Training VM and the slides.
To start with the training, perform the following steps:
- Download the image Shibboleth Training VM image (no longer available)
- Open the Image with Virtual Box or VMWare Player/Fusion
- Run the Shibboleth Training VM to boot up the image.
- Ideally print out the Tips and Tricks handout for ease-of-use.
- Start reading the complete Shibboleth Training Hands-On Slides or start with individual presentations as listed below.
Please note that when registering the Service Provider with the Resource Registry, you might have to wait a few minutes till a few hours until the registration is manually approved by someone from the SWITCHaai team. This in contrast to the training where this step took les than 5 minutes.
The slides are structured in different chapters. Whenever there is an icon in the upper right corner showing a hand on a keyboard, this means that there is a hands-on exercise on this slide.
|Day 1: Introduction to SWITCHaai|
|Federated Identity Management|
|AAI Login Demo|
|Motivation for Using AAI|
|SAML Terminology & Flows|
|Introduction to Shibboleth|
|VHO & Swiss edu-ID|