SWITCH edu-ID for Universities and other Organizations
Universities and other organizations can integrate their identity management with SWITCH edu-ID. These are the benefits:
- Universities can provide identities of their members in the SWITCHaai identity federation without having to operate their own identity provider (IdP). SWITCH runs an IdP on behalf of the universites.
- Universities outsource parts of their identity management.
- Infrastructure and user data remain under full control of the SWITCH community.
- edu-ID has good support not only for regular university members (students, staff, teachers), but also loosely coupled user groups like alumni, further education students, guests, project partners, library walk-in users etc.
- SWITCH edu-ID fully manages user credentials like passwords or other authentication methods.
- SWITCH edu-ID supports strong authentication with 2-step login.
- Support for multiple identity and access management protocols: SAML, OpenID Connect and SCIM.
- Supports linking with other academic identities like ORCID.
- Maintains the highest security standards, user data protection by design, high performance and high availability.
- The service is continuously extended to interoperate with other identity federations like edulog.
What needs to be done to integrate the IdM of a university or organization with edu-ID? Follow these steps.