SWITCH-CERT – a leading national centre of expertise
SWITCH-CERT currently protects members of the Swiss academic community, holders of .ch and .li domains, Swiss banks and, by its very nature, the entire Swiss Internet community.
SWITCH operates the Swiss research and education network, a backbone with more than a quarter of a million active devices, as well as the Domain Name System (DNS) infrastructure for .ch and .li. It also supports companies in the Swiss financial industry in fighting attacks on their assets.
This unique combination of activities allows SWITCH-CERT, the Computer Emergency Response Team operated by SWITCH, a head start in protecting its customers. Its expert knowledge and huge international partner network gives it the ability to act before problems escalate.
Success through collaboration
The professionalisation of cybercrime, combined with the growing trend towards digitalisation, means that the threat landscape is highly dynamic. The required level of protection can only be achieved through close collaboration. Doing it alone is no longer an option. SWITCH enjoys a unique position in Switzerland and has the experience needed to make this collaboration possible:
- 20-year record of success in creating and supporting communities at the highest level of trust
- around ten years of success in moderating cooperation and sharing experience within a group of Swiss banks, some of which are classed as systemically important
- a pioneering role in collating and sharing high-quality, locally relevant threat intelligence
- a position of trust in the Swiss security community and close cooperation with relevant organisations in the private and public sectors, e.g. MELANI
- a neutral position and high transparency as a foundation funded by the Swiss Confederation and the university cantons
- threat intelligence processed and enhanced in tactical, operational
and strategic terms